Evan Longoria to DH for Durham
Rays manager Joe Maddon said Thursday that Longoria, who has been on the 15-day disabled list with a partially torn left hamstring since May 1, will be the designated hitter for Triple-A Durham on Saturday.
The three-time All-Star was hitting .329 with four homers and 19 RBIs in 23 games before getting hurt. Tampa Bay (35-28) has gone 20-20 without Longoria.
Longoria was injured April 30 while running to second base on an attempted steal.
Also, infielder Jeff Keppinger, out with a broken right big toe, will be Durham's DH on Friday.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Nationals' Harper benched for 'lack of hustle'
- Scherzer tops Angels for 1st win of season
- Braves pull Kimbrel in 9th, hang on for win
- Braun's go-ahead HR caps 2-homer day
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Tampa Bay Rays Evan Longoria Classic Jersey Bracelet