Jose Valverde out with sprained wrist
Detroit trainer Kevin Rand says Valverde will use a wrist immobilizer for the next two or three days. The right-hander felt pain while warming up during Tuesday night's win over the St. Louis Cardinals, and the Tigers brought Phil Coke in to close instead.
Manager Jim Leyland hasn't named a specific closer to fill in for Valverde. Right-hander Joaquin Benoit has a 1.99 ERA in 32 appearances.
Valverde went all of 2011 without blowing a save, but he's struggled this year. He has 13 saves in 16 chances with a 4.18 ERA, and he's walked 17 hitters in 28 innings.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
- MLB average jumps 5.4 percent to $3.39M
- Rockies get OF Stubbs in trade with Indians
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Detroit Tigers Melbourne Charcoal Knit Hat