Jose Valverde out with sprained wrist
Detroit trainer Kevin Rand says Valverde will use a wrist immobilizer for the next two or three days. The right-hander felt pain while warming up during Tuesday night's win over the St. Louis Cardinals, and the Tigers brought Phil Coke in to close instead.
Manager Jim Leyland hasn't named a specific closer to fill in for Valverde. Right-hander Joaquin Benoit has a 1.99 ERA in 32 appearances.
Valverde went all of 2011 without blowing a save, but he's struggled this year. He has 13 saves in 16 chances with a 4.18 ERA, and he's walked 17 hitters in 28 innings.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees' Pineda banned 10 games by MLB
- Phillies beat Wilson, Dodgers with rally in 9th
- Yanks batter Red Sox with bounce-back barrage
- Wrigley cake ends up down in the dumps
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Detroit Tigers Focus Woven Navy Long Sleeve Shirt