Brandon Beachy has elbow surgery
The operation to reconstruct the partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in Beachy's elbow was performed by Dr. James Andrews in Gulf Breeze, Fla., on Thursday. Andrews has performed many of the ligament replacement operations known as Tommy John surgery.
Beachy faces a recovery period of at least one year and will miss the remainder of the season.
The loss of Beachy leaves a substantial void in Atlanta's rotation. The 25-year-old Beachy was 5-5 with a 2.00 ERA, tied for lowest in the major leagues, in 13 starts.
The Braves will recall right-hander Jair Jurrjens from Triple-A Gwinnett to fill Beachy's spot in the rotation. Jurrjens will start Friday in Boston.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Rangers take Seahawks QB Wilson in draft
- Cano thanks N.Y., finalizes big Mariners deal
- Rule 5 pick Nieto on Biogenesis clinic list
- Source: Joba, Tigers agree on 1-year deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Atlanta Braves Evan Gattis #24 Navy T-Shirt