Brandon Beachy has elbow surgery
The operation to reconstruct the partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in Beachy's elbow was performed by Dr. James Andrews in Gulf Breeze, Fla., on Thursday. Andrews has performed many of the ligament replacement operations known as Tommy John surgery.
Beachy faces a recovery period of at least one year and will miss the remainder of the season.
The loss of Beachy leaves a substantial void in Atlanta's rotation. The 25-year-old Beachy was 5-5 with a 2.00 ERA, tied for lowest in the major leagues, in 13 starts.
The Braves will recall right-hander Jair Jurrjens from Triple-A Gwinnett to fill Beachy's spot in the rotation. Jurrjens will start Friday in Boston.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Robinson debut
- Sanchez sends Giants past Dodgers in 12th
- Trout ties it in 9th, but A's trump Angels in 11
- Napoli exits with hurt finger after headfirst slide
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Extended Sizes - Majestic Men's Authentic Atlanta Braves Craig Kimbrel #46 Cool Base Home White Jersey w/ Patch