D-backs put Joe Saunders on DL
PHOENIX -- The Arizona Diamondbacks have placed left-hander Joe Saunders on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left elbow, a move that could open the way for top-pitching prospect Trevor Bauer to make his major league debut.
Saunders (4-5, 3.44 ERA) was unable to make his start Friday night against Chicago after experiencing soreness during warmups. The team recalled right-handed reliever Jonathan Albaladejo from Triple-A Reno to take Saunders' roster spot. Albaladejo was 3-1 with a 2.64 ERA and 13 saves for the Aces. He is second in the PCL in opponents' average (.190).
Bauer, a right-hander who was the fifth overall pick in the 2011 draft, is a combined 11-1 with a 2.19 ERA with Double-A Mobile and Reno this season.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Kershaw: No problems after simulated game
- Yanks' Nova to DL with elbow ligament tear
- On eve of marathon, Red Sox honor victims
- Early brawl mars Brewers' win in 14 innings
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's Arizona Diamondbacks White/Black Crush T-Shirt