Scott Kazmir signs with Skeeters
SUGAR LAND, Texas -- Two-time All-Star pitcher Scott Kazmir signed with the Sugar Land Skeeters of the independent Atlantic League on Saturday, and is expected to take the mound Sunday against the Bridgeport Bluefish.
The 28-year-old left-hander last pitched in the majors last season, appearing in one game for the Los Angeles Angels. He led the American League in strikeouts with 239 with Tampa Bay in 2007, and was 66-61 with a 4.17 ERA in eight seasons with the Rays and Angels.
"He is an explosive arm for us to have on the staff," manager Gary Gaetti said. "We look forward to seeing his stuff in action out on the mound with the track record he brings."
Kazmir, a Houston native, starred at Cypress Falls High School.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Multiple batters hit as Pirates-Phils gets testy
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Los Angeles Angels Team Logo Baseball