Scott Kazmir signs with Skeeters
SUGAR LAND, Texas -- Two-time All-Star pitcher Scott Kazmir signed with the Sugar Land Skeeters of the independent Atlantic League on Saturday, and is expected to take the mound Sunday against the Bridgeport Bluefish.
The 28-year-old left-hander last pitched in the majors last season, appearing in one game for the Los Angeles Angels. He led the American League in strikeouts with 239 with Tampa Bay in 2007, and was 66-61 with a 4.17 ERA in eight seasons with the Rays and Angels.
"He is an explosive arm for us to have on the staff," manager Gary Gaetti said. "We look forward to seeing his stuff in action out on the mound with the track record he brings."
Kazmir, a Houston native, starred at Cypress Falls High School.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Hamels slated to make season debut in L.A.
- Stanton's walk-off GS lifts Marlins over M's
- Pujols belts No. 497 in Angels' rout of Tigers
- Mets trade 1B Davis to Pirates for reliever
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Triple Peak Men's Los Angeles Angels Mike Trout Red T-Shirt