Giancarlo Stanton undergoes surgery
Manager Ozzie Guillen says Sunday's procedure went well. The Marlins say the 22-year-old Stanton is expected to be out for four to six weeks.
The Marlins went a man short in their final game before the All-Star break, and will activate outfielder Emilio Bonifacio from the 15-day disabled list when they return Friday at home against the Nationals. Bonifacio has been out since May 20 with a sprained left thumb.
Stanton, a first-time All-Star, is batting .284 with a team-high 19 homers and 50 RBIs. He made his first start in five games on Saturday but lasted just two innings.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Pujols goes yard twice to join 500 HR club
- Ellsbury helps Yankees romp in Fenway return
- Fernandez strikes out 14, wins pitchers' duel
- MLB suspends Gomez, Maldonado, others
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Miami Marlins Giancarlo Stanton #27 Black T-Shirt