Jed Lowrie, Jason Castro go on DL
Lowrie was injured during a collision at second base in the third inning of Houston's 12-inning 3-2 loss to the San Francisco Giants on Saturday. Lowrie suffered a sprained right ankle and damaged a nerve in his right leg.
Castro has been bothered by soreness in his right leg, the same one he had surgery on in March 2011. Astros manager Brad Mills had hoped Castro could avoid the DL and previously talked about the possibility of putting him in the lineup Sunday before the team decided to make the move, which was dated to July 8 when was originally injured.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Houston Astros Cooperstown Fan V-Neck Navy/Orange Half-Sleeve Shirt