Matt Holliday out after pitch to leg
Holliday was hit by an 89-mph fastball from Brewers starter Randy Wolf near his left knee in the first inning. After spending several minutes with the team's trainer, Holliday initially remained in the game. But Cardinals manager Mike Matheny took him out in the bottom of the second, when Jon Jay came in as a defensive replacement. Holliday's injury was described as a left thigh contusion.
Holliday had a game-tying two-run single in the ninth inning of Monday's game, which the Cardinals went on to win 3-2.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
- MLB average jumps 5.4 percent to $3.39M
- Rockies get OF Stubbs in trade with Indians
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Women's St. Louis Cardinals Upperdeck Red Hoodie