Chris Carpenter has shoulder surgery
The neurogenic thoracic outlet surgery was performed by Dr. Greg Pearl in Dallas. The Cardinals say rehabilitation should take two to three months, and Carpenter should be able to have a normal offseason.
The 37-year-old right-hander hasn't pitched all season and hasn't been on the mound since winning Game 7 of the 2011 World Series against Texas. The injury occurred during spring training.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Nationals' Harper benched for 'lack of hustle'
- Yankees' Nova leaves with injury, gets MRI
- Scherzer tops Angels for 1st win of season
- Alvarez faces 1 over minimum, silences M's
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Youth St. Louis Cardinals 9Forty Red/White League Adjustable Hat