Chris Carpenter has shoulder surgery
The neurogenic thoracic outlet surgery was performed by Dr. Greg Pearl in Dallas. The Cardinals say rehabilitation should take two to three months, and Carpenter should be able to have a normal offseason.
The 37-year-old right-hander hasn't pitched all season and hasn't been on the mound since winning Game 7 of the 2011 World Series against Texas. The injury occurred during spring training.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica St. Louis Cardinals Chris Carpenter #29 Light Blue Cooperstown Jersey