Jose Rijo charged in Dominican
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- A prosecutor in the Dominican Republic says 1990 World Series MVP Jose Rijo has been charged with laundering money for a suspected drug trafficker.
Prosecutor Soraime Vargas says about 80 percent of the assets of fugitive drug suspect Avelino Castro were in Rijo's name. Those assets allegedly include two hotels and a sports complex. Vargas announced money laundering charges against the former pitcher at a news conference Monday.
Prosecutors asked a court to order Rijo to remain in the country but did not seek his arrest.
The 47-year-old Rijo led the Cincinnati Reds to the 1990 world championship. He also pitched for the Athletics and Yankees. Authorities began investigating him as part of a broader investigation after a Dominican journalist was kidnapped and killed, allegedly on the orders of Castro.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Phils' Rollins: No idea why I'm benched
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Pineda in control again, holds Orioles scoreless
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica New York Yankees Roger Maris #9 Grey Cooperstown Jersey