Emilio Bonifacio hurts thumb again
Bonifacio, who missed nearly two months with torn ligaments in his left thumb earlier this season, hurt the same thumb diving for a ball in the ninth inning of the second game in Friday's doubleheader with Washington. An X-ray was taken after the game, but Guillen didn't need to see it.
"When he was on the ground, I knew something was bad," Guillen said, according to MLB.com. "I just saw it right away. Same thumb. Same injury. I don't expect him back this year."
Bonifacio had surgery on his left thumb after initially injuring it May 18. He returned to the Marlins on July 13.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Sources: Rangers to sign Choo for $130M
- O's not signing Balfour, cite physical results
- Alleged kidnapping of Rangers' Martin detailed
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Turner Licensing Miami Marlins 2014 Wall Calendar