Rays to activate Evan Longoria
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Three-time All Star Evan Longoria is set to return to Tampa Bay's lineup after being sidelined more three months with a partially torn left hamstring.
The Rays said the third baseman will be activated from the disabled list before Tuesday's game against Toronto. He was batting .329 with four homers and 19 RBIs in 23 games before being injured running the bases against Seattle on April 30.
The Rays went 15-8 before the injury, and are 41-44 since.
Longoria returns after making eight starts as a designated hitter for Triple-A Durham, where he batted .200 with three RBIs and seven walks. An earlier rehabilitation assignment was cut short because of soreness in his hamstring.
To free a roster spot, infielder Will Rhymes was optioned to Durham on Monday.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Mag: Puig subjected to threats, civil lawsuit
- Tanaka leads Yanks; 28 K's in 1st 3 games
- Bradley, Boston win Sox battle in 14
- Astros call up prized outfield prospect Springer
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Tampa Bay Rays Evan Longoria #3 Alternate Light Blue Jersey