Nationals activate SS Ian Desmond
Desmond, out since July 22, missed the last 25 games with a left oblique strain. In 89 games this season, the 26-year-old is batting .286 with 17 home runs, 53 RBIs and 15 stolen bases. He ranked among the National League leaders in total bases, extra-base hits, doubles and homers when he initially was placed on the DL. He was batting sixth Friday.
The 32-year-old Izturis, claimed off waivers from Milwaukee on Aug. 6, went 2 for 4 in five games with Washington this season.
The Nationals, owners of the best record in baseball, open a three-game series Friday against the New York Mets.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Kershaw: No problems after simulated game
- Yanks' Nova to DL with elbow ligament tear
- Red Sox notch walk-off victory on O's error
- On eve of marathon, Red Sox honor victims
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Women's Washington Nationals Fly Ball Red V-Neck T-Shirt