Braves sign Lyle Overbay
The 35-year-old first baseman, released by Arizona on Aug. 5, will report to Triple-A Gwinnett on Thursday, general manager Frank Wren said on Monday.
Overbay was batting .292 with two home runs and 10 RBIs with the Diamondbacks this season. He has also played with Milwaukee, Toronto and Pittsburgh.
Wren said the plan was to bring Overbay up when major league rosters expand on Sept. 1.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Pineda ejected for foreign substance on neck
- Red Sox shut down Yankees behind Lackey
- D-backs spoil Wrigley's 100th with rally in 9th
- Tanaka says going 24-0 again not impossible
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Atlanta Braves Slidepiece Tri-Blend Grey T-Shirt