Braves sign Lyle Overbay
The 35-year-old first baseman, released by Arizona on Aug. 5, will report to Triple-A Gwinnett on Thursday, general manager Frank Wren said on Monday.
Overbay was batting .292 with two home runs and 10 RBIs with the Diamondbacks this season. He has also played with Milwaukee, Toronto and Pittsburgh.
Wren said the plan was to bring Overbay up when major league rosters expand on Sept. 1.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Concepts Sport Men's Atlanta Braves Keynote Sleepwear Navy Pants