Rafael Furcal placed on disabled list
Furcal left Thursday night's game at Washington after making a pair of throws in the sixth inning. He later said he felt a pop in his elbow.
The defending World Series champions made the move before Friday night's game against the Nationals. St. Louis is leading in the race for the second NL wild-card spot.
Shortstop Pete Kozma was promoted from Triple-A Memphis. He had two stints with St. Louis last year, and was in the starting lineup Friday night at Washington.
The Cardinals also said outfielder Lance Berkman would be activated from the 15-day DL on Saturday. He's been out since Aug. 3 with an injured right knee.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Pujols goes yard twice to join 500 HR club
- Ellsbury helps Yankees romp in Fenway return
- Fernandez strikes out 14, wins pitchers' duel
- Athletics reject 10-year Coliseum lease offer
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's Washington Nationals 59Fifty Diamond Tech White/Navy Batting Practice Hat