Henry Rodriguez has elbow surgery
WASHINGTON -- Nationals reliever Henry Rodriguez has undergone surgery on his right elbow and will miss the remainder of the season.
Washington manager Davey Johnson said Friday that doctors found more damage than they expected. Rodriguez will not be able to throw for the next three months after doctors discovered spurring and a sizable bone chip.
Rodriguez went on the disabled list Aug. 2 because of a strain in his lower back. He was 1-3 with nine saves and a 5.83 ERA in 35 games.
The one-time closer for the Nationals did well early in the season, but later struggled and eventually was moved into a diminished role.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Nationals' Harper benched for 'lack of hustle'
- Yankees' Nova leaves with injury, gets MRI
- Scherzer tops Angels for 1st win of season
- Alvarez faces 1 over minimum, silences M's
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Washington Nationals Batter Heathered Grey climalite T-Shirt