Padres extend OF Chris Denorfia
The 32-year-old outfielder was batting .290 with six homers and 30 RBIs in 283 at-bats going into Wednesday night's game against the Los Angeles Dodgers. He was 8 for 25 (.320) as a pinch-hitter.
"We are excited to extend Chris to a two-year contract," general manager Josh Byrnes said in a statement. "He has proven to be a valuable and versatile player for us over the last three seasons, and his style of play is infectious."
Denorfia homered Tuesday night at Dodger Stadium on the first pitch from NL Cy Young Award winner Clayton Kershaw.
Denorfia's salary this year is $1,165,000.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Emotional Thomas, Torre headline HOF class
- Ortiz's homer reignites Red Sox-Rays rivalry
- Yankees fan returns lost Red Sox title ring
- Dodgers best Peavy, Giants to cap off sweep
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- The Highland Mint Clayton Kershaw National League Cy Young Winner Dirt Coin Photo Mint