Brandon McCarthy shows good signs
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Athletics pitcher Brandon McCarthy is alert after having surgery for a skull fracture and brain contusion caused by a line drive.
The Athletics said Thursday that McCarthy was awake, resting comfortably in the critical care unit of a Bay Area hospital and showing signs of improvement.
A CT scan after the accident showed the damage. After a second CT scan, the 29-year-old McCarthy had a two-hour operation to relieve pressure in his head.
The A's did not give a timetable for how long McCarthy will be out. Oakland went into the day tied for the AL wild-card lead.
McCarthy is 8-6 with a 3.24 ERA in 18 starts.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Oakland Athletics Classic Keychain