Nats' Michael Morse sidelined
NEW YORK -- Left fielder Michael Morse is out of the starting lineup for the Washington Nationals' game against the New York Mets after he was diagnosed with a torn cuff and a bone bruise in his left wrist.
Morse injured his right thumb Aug. 13 during an at-bat in San Francisco. Nationals manager Davey Johnson says Morse may have overcompensated with his left hand after that injury.
Johnson said Wednesday that Morse has been trying to play through it, and he wishes the slugger would have said something.
Morse is hitting .239 (21 for 88) since then, dropping his season average to .285. He is to see a specialist in the Baltimore area.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Yanks trade for Padres 3B Headley
- Angels won't limit ace Richards' workload
- Ryu, Dodgers 1st to have 3 11-game winners
- Jones' 2 homers power Orioles past Angels
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Washington Nationals Scrum Navy T-Shirt