Nats' Michael Morse sidelined
NEW YORK -- Left fielder Michael Morse is out of the starting lineup for the Washington Nationals' game against the New York Mets after he was diagnosed with a torn cuff and a bone bruise in his left wrist.
Morse injured his right thumb Aug. 13 during an at-bat in San Francisco. Nationals manager Davey Johnson says Morse may have overcompensated with his left hand after that injury.
Johnson said Wednesday that Morse has been trying to play through it, and he wishes the slugger would have said something.
Morse is hitting .239 (21 for 88) since then, dropping his season average to .285. He is to see a specialist in the Baltimore area.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Youth Washington Nationals 59Fifty Game Red Authentic Hat