Ryan Zimmerman could need surgery
Manager Davey Johnson said offseason surgery to clean out Zimmerman's shoulder "will definitely be seriously considered." General manager Mike Rizzo said if Zimmerman does have an operation, "he'd certainly be ready for whenever spring training begins."
Zimmerman also got a cortisone shot in late June, coming off a 5-for-49 slump. He entered Wednesday batting .284 with 22 homers and 84 RBIs.
Rizzo said the "big difference" between the shots is that Zimmerman now is "feeling it a little bit" in the shoulder, but back in June, the player "needed the cortisone shot to perform up to his standards."
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Balfour's deal with O's in jeopardy
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Axford, Indians finalize 1-year, $4.5M deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Washington Nationals Scrum Red T-Shirt