Aroldis Chapman tests shoulder
Speaking through an interpreter, Chapman said he likely needs two or three more bullpens to work on his command. The left-hander hasn't pitched in a game since Sept. 10. Chapman is 5-5 with a 1.60 ERA and 35 saves in 40 chances this season. He has 119 strikeouts in 67 2/3 innings pitched.
Reds manager Dusty Baker was unavailable to elaborate on Chapman's progress because he left Wrigley Field to get chest X-rays to rule out pneumonia.
The first-place Reds lead the NL Central by 11 games over the St. Louis Cardinals and can clinch as early as Thursday with a pair of wins and St. Louis losses.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Agent: Lester didn't tell Sox contract terms
- Royals' Hosmer in lineup; Vargas improving
- Reds slugger Bruce goes on bereavement list
- Werth out of Nats' lineup with ankle sprain
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Triple Peak Men's Cincinnati Reds Aroldis Chapman Black T-Shirt