Rays break AL strikeouts record
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Tampa Bay's pitching staff broke the American League single-season record for strikeouts when James Shields fanned Toronto's J.P. Arencibia leading off the second inning on Friday night.
Rays pitchers began the night with 1,264 strikeouts, two shy of the 2001 New York Yankees.
The major league record is 1,404 by the Chicago Cubs in 2003. The Rays have 1,275 with 11 games remaining.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Sources: Rangers to sign Choo for $130M
- O's not signing Balfour, cite physical results
- Alleged kidnapping of Rangers' Martin detailed
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's Tampa Bay Rays 39Thirty Neo Grey Flex Hat