A's set AL mark for striking out most
ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Oakland Athletics have set an American League record for striking out the most in a season.
Chris Carter's strikeout in the second inning Wednesday night at Texas was the team's third of the game and 1,325th this season, one more than the Tampa Bay Rays had in 2007. The A's quickly added to that total when Brandon Moss followed with an inning-ending K.
Oakland already had four strikeouts through two innings, but also had a 5-3 lead at that point against the AL West leaders.
The A's, who have seven games left after Wednesday night, already surpassed their previous strikeout total by more than 100. They had 1,226 in 2008.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- O's not signing Balfour, cite physical results
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
- O's Patton tests positive, banned 25 games
- Beltran joins Yankees: 'Means a lot to me'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Oakland Athletics Practice Green T-Shirt