Pirates' Neil Walker out for season
PITTSBURGH -- Pirates second baseman Neil Walker will miss the rest of the season because of lower back soreness.
Walker visited a back specialist Friday and was advised to sit out Pittsburgh's final six games. Walker had missed the last three games and started just six times in September because of the injury.
"I don't want to portray this as me quitting on the team," Walker said before the Pirates hosted Cincinnati, the NL Central champion. "It's frustrating (because) my goal was to get back and help this team as much as I could. I tried to play through it as much as I could."
Walker finishes his season with a .280 batting average, 14 home runs and 69 RBIs in 129 games.
The Pirates have lost 20 of 26 and have to win five of six games to avoid their 20th consecutive losing season.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Lester scratched from start but no trade yet
- Machado homer puts O's past Angels in 12
- Yankees top Rangers & Arencibia's 7 RBIs
- Cain to meet with Dr. Andrews about elbow
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Pittsburgh Pirates Neil Walker #18 Gold T-Shirt