Nick Markakis to have pins out soon
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Baltimore Orioles right fielder Nick Markakis has had his broken left thumb examined and it was determined that his surgically inserted pins will remain in place for another week.
Markakis underwent the examination Monday. Orioles manager Buck Showalter said Markakis' thumb will be in a splint for two weeks after the pins are removed.
Also, Jason Hammel, who left his start on Sept. 11 due to a sore right knee, threw five innings Monday in the Florida instructional league. Showalter said depending on how the right-hander feels Tuesday, he could be ready to pitch for the Orioles by later this week.
Pitcher Steve Johnson is day to day with left knee soreness. An MRI was negative.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Rivera honored, but Yanks no-hit in Panama
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica New York Yankees C.C. Sabathia #52 Road Grey Jersey