Royals fire hitting coach Kevin Seitzer
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Royals have chosen not to renew the contract of hitting coach Kevin Seitzer after the team finished 72-90 for its ninth consecutive losing season.
General manager Ned Yost and general manager Dayton Moore announced the decision shortly after meeting with Seitzer on Thursday. Kansas City wrapped up its season with a 1-0 loss to the AL Central champion Detroit Tigers on Wednesday night.
Seitzer worked with a team that put together a .265 average this season, seventh-best in baseball, but struggled to score. Kansas City finished 20th in runs scored.
Yost said the composition of the batting lineup lends itself to developing power, while Seitzer's forte is hitting for average. Yost said he expects the next hitting coach to come from within the organization.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Nationals' Harper benched for 'lack of hustle'
- Yankees' Nova leaves with injury, gets MRI
- Scherzer tops Angels for 1st win of season
- Alvarez faces 1 over minimum, silences M's
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Kansas City Royals Dri-FIT Combat Legend Light Blue Performance T-Shirt