Matt LaPorta undergoes hip surgery
LaPorta had the procedure on Thursday in Nashville, Tenn. The Indians said LaPorta, who spent most of last season at Triple-A Columbus, had a "debridement" of his left hip joint. LaPorta will need three to four months to recover and is expected to be unrestricted for the beginning of exhibition play.
LaPorta was called up late last season and batted .241 with one homer and five RBIs in 22 games. He has been a major disappointment since the Indians acquired in 2008 in the trade for pitcher CC Sabathia. LaPorta batted .247 in 2011 with 11 homers and 53 RBIs.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Mag: Puig subjected to threats, civil lawsuit
- Tanaka leads Yanks; 28 K's in 1st 3 games
- Bradley, Boston win Sox battle in 14
- Astros call up prized outfield prospect Springer
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Party Animal Cleveland Indians Tall Team Flag with Pole