Buster Posey, Fernando Rodney win
Posey won the NL batting title at .336 average and added a career-best 24 home runs and 103 RBIs for a Giants team that is in the NL Championship Series.
Posey played in only 45 games in 2011 before being crushed in a homeplate collision that left him with a broken ankle. The gruesome injury sparked debate on the safety of catchers blocking home plate against baserunners.
Rodney, in his first season with the Rays, was second in the league with 48 saves and had a 0.60 ERA in a career-high 76 appearances. The ERA is the lowest by a pitcher with 50 innings in major league history.
Rodney dealt with a back injury for a part of 2011, but he came back mostly from ineffectiveness. He lost his closer's job early in the year with the Angels and pitched in only 39 games, registering a 4.50 ERA.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Papi's pitch: Red Sox shouldn't trade Lester
- Lane change: Ex-OF gets 1st start for Padres
- Yankees fan returns lost Red Sox title ring
- Dodgers land 2B Barney in deal with Cubs
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica San Francisco Giants Buster Posey #28 Black/Camo Jersey