Shohei Otani, 18, wants MLB career
TOKYO -- Japanese high school pitcher Shohei Otani says he will pursue a career in Major League Baseball instead of turning professional in Japan.
The 18-year-old Otani said "I think I will start in the minor leagues but I want to challenge in the majors. It's been my dream since entering high school."
Otani was expected to go in the first round of Thursday's amateur draft in Japan.
If he signs with a major league team, Otani would become the first potential top draft pick to make the direct jump from a Japanese high school to the U.S.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees' Pineda banned 10 games by MLB
- Wrigley cake ends up down in the dumps
- Tommy John stunned by surgery 'epidemic'
- Sosa to 'clear it up,' sad to miss Cubs party
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Los Angeles Dodgers Full-Zip Royal Hoodie