Shohei Otani, 18, wants MLB career
TOKYO -- Japanese high school pitcher Shohei Otani says he will pursue a career in Major League Baseball instead of turning professional in Japan.
The 18-year-old Otani said "I think I will start in the minor leagues but I want to challenge in the majors. It's been my dream since entering high school."
Otani was expected to go in the first round of Thursday's amateur draft in Japan.
If he signs with a major league team, Otani would become the first potential top draft pick to make the direct jump from a Japanese high school to the U.S.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
- MLB average jumps 5.4 percent to $3.39M
- Rockies get OF Stubbs in trade with Indians
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MORE FROM ESPN LOS ANGELES
MORE FROM ESPN BOSTON
- '47 Brand Men's Los Angeles Dodgers Clean Up Royal Adjustable Hat