Ryan Zimmerman undergoes surgery
WASHINGTON -- Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo says third baseman Ryan Zimmerman had arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder and is expected to be ready for the start of spring training.
Team doctor Wiemi Douoguih performed the operation Thursday. Rizzo says Zimmerman "will be full go" in six weeks.
Zimmerman was bothered by the shoulder during the season and had cortisone shots in June and September.
He hit .282 with 25 home runs and 95 RBIs for NL East champion Washington this season. Zimmerman batted .381 with two homers in the Nationals' NL division series loss to the St. Louis Cardinals.
Pinch hitter Chad Tracy also is expected to be ready for spring training after having arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Thursday.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Mag: Puig subjected to threats, civil lawsuit
- Tanaka leads Yanks; 28 K's in 1st 3 games
- Astros call up prized outfield prospect Springer
- Dodgers' Ramirez leaves with hand injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Authentic Street Signs Washington Nationals Avenue Red Sign