Marlins designate John Maine
The Marlins called up right-hander Tom Koehler from Triple-A New Orleans on Friday. Manager Mike Redmond said he'll fill Maine's long-relief role. Koehler made three starts for New Orleans and had a 1.06 ERA.
Maine pitched two innings during an 11-1 loss to the Reds on Thursday night. He gave up five hits, five walks and six runs. In four appearances covering 7 1/3 innings this season, Maine had allowed 15 hits, five walks and 10 runs.
Miami's bullpen is 1-4 with a 5.57 ERA, third-worst the National League. It's the only bullpen in the majors without a save.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Ryu, Dodgers 1st to have 3 11-game winners
- Jones' 2 homers power Orioles past Angels
- Ortiz (2 HRs) passes Yastrzemski in Sox rout
- Verlander moves to 3rd in Tigers K's in win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- WinCraft Miami Marlins House Flag