Jason Motte to have Tommy John
MILWAUKEE -- St. Louis right-hander Jason Motte will have season-ending Tommy John surgery next week.
The Cardinals reliever was placed on the disabled list on March 29, and eventually diagnosed with a torn ligament in his right elbow. He had been rehabbing and playing catch in an effort to avoid surgery.
However, he had discomfort during a throwing session and it was decided that Motte would have the ligament replacement surgery.
Motte emerged as the Cardinals' closer late in the 2011 season, throwing eight scoreless innings with four saves against Philadelphia and Milwaukee in the NLDS and NLCS, respectively before going 0-1 with a 6.23 ERA during the World Series.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Multiple batters hit as Pirates-Phils gets testy
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica St. Louis Cardinals Orlando Cepeda #30 White Cooperstown Jersey