D-backs put J.J. Putz on DL
LOS ANGELES -- The Arizona Diamondbacks have placed closer J.J. Putz on the 15-day disabled list on Wednesday because of a right elbow strain and recalled reliever Will Harris from Triple-A Reno before the finale of a three-game series with the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Putz, an All-Star in 2007 with Seattle, was injured in the ninth inning of the Diamondbacks' 5-3 victory on Tuesday night and was replaced by former three-time All-Star closer Heath Bell. Bell got three outs for his second save of the season.
Putz is 2-1 with five saves and a 4.26 ERA in 14 appearances this year. He is in his third season with Arizona, having recorded a career-high 45 saves in 2001 and 32 last year.
The closing duties now will fall on David Hernandez and Bell.
Harris has 20 games of major league experience, all with Colorado last season, when he gave up 16 earned runs in 17 2/3 innings and struck out 19.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Rivera honored, but Yanks no-hit in Panama
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Arizona Diamondbacks Away Fan V-Neck Black Half-Sleeve Shirt