Eric Chavez leaves game vs. Rangers
Chavez grabbed his side after fouling off the second pitch he saw from Texas right-hander Justin Grimm on Thursday. Chavez also fouled off the first pitch.
Cliff Pennington replaced Chavez and eventually grounded out.
The 35-year-old Chavez is hitting .325 as a part-time starter at third base.
Chavez missed much of four straight seasons from 2008 to 2011 with back, neck and shoulder problems and a broken foot. He was on the seven-day concussion disabled list with the New York Yankees last season.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- O's not signing Balfour, cite physical results
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
- O's Patton tests positive, banned 25 games
- Beltran joins Yankees: 'Means a lot to me'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
The Red Sox rebounded from a tough loss to clinch a spot in the ALCS.
- New Era Men's Arizona Diamondbacks 39Thirty Clubhouse Flex Hat