Yadier Molina drops appeal, sits
Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina dropped his appeal of a one-game suspension Wednesday and served it by sitting out against the Diamondbacks.
Major League Baseball had suspended and fined Molina for contacting second-base umpire Mike Everitt on Sunday.
Molina said he decided to drop the appeal after catching 14 innings Tuesday night.
"I knew [Cardinals manager] Mike [Matheny] might give me a day off today, so why not drop it," Molina told MLB.com. "I didn't want to. I believe I didn't do anything wrong. At the same time, I had to think about the team. If Mike was going to give me a day off today, it's a good idea to drop the appeal."
"Whenever you're a catcher down, usually it's a bigger deal than just giving a guy a day off," Matheny told MLB.com.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica St. Louis Cardinals Yadier Molina #4 Home White Jersey