Orioles recall reliever Jake Arrieta
Rookie Kevin Gausman, who started the game, was optioned to Norfolk afterward. That set up the move to recall Arrieta on Friday.
Manager Buck Showalter said Friday, "If we would have played a nine-inning game, Gausman would have stayed."
This is the third stint with Baltimore this season for Arrieta, who began the season in the starting rotation. He's 1-1 with a 6.63 ERA in four appearances, all of them starts.
Showalter says Gausman could return sooner than 10 days if Orioles starter Miguel Gonzalez goes on paternity leave.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Hank the dog arrives to Milwaukee welcome
- Headley eyes opener but won't rush injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Authentic Street Signs Memorial Stadium Street Sign