Cards LHP Tyler Lyons to Triple-A
Right-hander Michael Blazek, a 35th round draft pick in 2007, was recalled Saturday to add bullpen depth and the Cardinals could give Lyons' spot in the rotation to Joe Kelly. The 24-year-old Blazek made it to the majors for the first time earlier in the season but did not appear in a game, and had a 2.31 ERA and one save at Memphis in eight games with four of his outings lasting two innings.
Blazek began the year at Double-A Springfield where he had an 0.92 ERA with 25 strikeouts in 19 2/3 innings.
The 25-year-old Lyons won his first two career starts but was 0-3 in his last four and is 2-3 with a 5.51 ERA. He was a ninth-round pick in 2010.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Japan's Tanaka wants to move to MLB in 2014
- Roberts joining Yankees for post-Cano era
- Source: O's, closer Balfour agree to deal
- 2B Infante to help Royals take 'next step'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
The Red Sox rebounded from a tough loss to clinch a spot in the ALCS.
- Majestic Men's St. Louis Cardinals Yadier Molina #4 Home White Replica Jersey