Clayton Richard shipped to DL
The left-handed staple in the Padres' rotation was removed from Friday's start after just two pitches because of pain in the acromioclavicular joint of his left shoulder, near the collarbone.
Richard received an injection on Saturday morning to calm the inflammation that caused him pain, starting after a June 16 start when he allowed one run in eight innings against Arizona.
Richard has had a difficult season, with a 2-5 record and a 7.01 ERA in 12 appearances.
Anthony Bass was promoted from Triple-A Tucson in a corresponding move, and will be available in long relief.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica San Diego Padres Brown Cooperstown Jersey