J.J. Putz activated from DL
The 35-year-old Putz suffered a right elbow strain on May 7 against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Before his injury, Putz was 2-1 with five saves in nine chances and a 4.26 ERA in 14 games.
Fill-in closer Heath Bell pitched well after Putz went down, but struggled over his past five outings, allowing seven runs in four innings before discovering a flaw in his mechanics.
The 23-year-old Spruill allowed a run in 4 1/3 innings while appearing in four games for the Diamondbacks.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees fan returns lost Red Sox title ring
- Lane change: Ex-OF gets 1st start for Padres
- Dodgers land 2B Barney in deal with Cubs
- Rays activate Peralta from DL; Bedard DFA'd
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Los Angeles Dodgers Authentic Collection Royal Fleece Hoodie