Royals option Johnny Giavotella
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Royals placed infielder Chris Getz and reliever Kelvin Herrera on the taxi squad Thursday in anticipation of recalling them Friday, and optioned infielder Johnny Giavotella and reliever Everett Teaford to Triple-A Omaha.
The club also assigned infielder Pedro Ciriaco, claimed off waivers Tuesday from San Diego, to Omaha.
Getz opened the season as the Royals' starting second baseman, but was optioned to Omaha on June 22. He has a .214 average in 47 games for Kansas City this season with five doubles, a homer and four stolen bases.
Herrera was optioned to Omaha on June 25. The right-hander is 3-5 with a 5.20 ERA in 29 appearances with the Royals this season.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MLB briefs managers, GMs on replay system
- Source: Colon, Mets reach 2-year, $20M deal
- MLB plans to ban home plate collisions by '15
- Reports: Yanks nix Gardner-for-Phillips deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
The Red Sox rebounded from a tough loss to clinch a spot in the ALCS.
- Majestic Men's Kansas City Royals Light Blue Cooperstown Jersey