John Gast done for the season
ATLANTA -- St. Louis left-hander John Gast is expected to be ready to pitch in eight-to-12 months after season-ending surgery on his left shoulder.
Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak said in a statement on Friday that more will be known about Gast's recovery period when the team evaluates his rehabilitation in the next few weeks.
Gast was 2-0 with a 5.11 ERA in three starts before he was placed on the disabled list on May 26 with a left shoulder strain.
No details of Friday's surgery were provided by the team.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Nationals' Harper benched for 'lack of hustle'
- Scherzer tops Angels for 1st win of season
- Hamels slated to make season debut in L.A.
- Jays shut out Indians, Buehrle still unbeaten
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth St. Louis Cardinals Matt Carpenter #13 Red T-Shirt