Oscar Taveras out for season
ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Cardinals outfield prospect Oscar Taveras will undergo surgery after a high right ankle sprain did not respond to treatment.
The Cardinals had anticipated the 21-year-old Taveras would make his major league debut this season. He was the Texas League player of year last season at Double-A Springfield, batting .321 with 23 home runs, 94 RBIs and 10 steals.
Taveras was limited to 46 games and 173 at-bats this season at Triple-A Memphis, batting .306 with five home runs and 32 RBIs. Taveras injured the ankle twice this season and hasn't played since mid-July.
General manager John Mozeliak said Taveras' ankle was not showing improvement.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Kershaw: No problems after simulated game
- Early brawl mars Brewers' win in 14 innings
- Yanks' Nova to DL with elbow ligament tear
- Red Sox notch walk-off victory on O's error
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Authentic Street Signs St. Louis Cardinals Avenue Sign