Royals designate Elliot Johnson
Toronto sent the 28-year-old Bonifacio to the Royals on Wednesday for cash or a player to be named. He was in the starting lineup Thursday night at third base.
Kansas City was in Detroit for a crucial five-game series against the AL Central-leading Tigers.
Johnson hit .179 in 79 games for the Royals this year.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Headley wins it in 14th of debut with Yanks
- Rockies place Tulowitzki (hip strain) on DL
- Jeter becomes Yanks' all-time doubles leader
- Angels won't limit ace Richards' workload
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- FANMATS Kansas City Royals Baseball Mat