Bartolo Colon to DL with hurt groin
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Athletics pitcher Bartolo Colon is headed to the 15-day disabled list with a strained left groin.
The All-Star righty hurt himself throwing on flat ground Friday. The A's will make the move Sunday and lefty Tommy Milone will be recalled from Triple-A Sacramento to start against Cleveland.
Manager Bob Melvin says a break might be good for Colon. The 40-year-old didn't get past the fourth inning in his past two starts. Colon is 14-5 with a 2.97 ERA.
"We shut him down, obviously, from throwing yesterday and he came in today and it was sore again," Melvin said. "The prudent thing to do."
Lefty Brett Anderson was set to make a rehab start for Sacramento on Saturday. He's been out since May 1 with a stress fracture in his right foot.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Mag: Puig subjected to threats, civil lawsuit
- Tanaka leads Yanks; 28 K's in 1st 3 games
- Bradley, Boston win Sox battle in 14
- Astros call up prized outfield prospect Springer
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Photo File Oakland Athletics Team Logo Framed Photo