Bartolo Colon to DL with hurt groin
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Athletics pitcher Bartolo Colon is headed to the 15-day disabled list with a strained left groin.
The All-Star righty hurt himself throwing on flat ground Friday. The A's will make the move Sunday and lefty Tommy Milone will be recalled from Triple-A Sacramento to start against Cleveland.
Manager Bob Melvin says a break might be good for Colon. The 40-year-old didn't get past the fourth inning in his past two starts. Colon is 14-5 with a 2.97 ERA.
"We shut him down, obviously, from throwing yesterday and he came in today and it was sore again," Melvin said. "The prudent thing to do."
Lefty Brett Anderson was set to make a rehab start for Sacramento on Saturday. He's been out since May 1 with a stress fracture in his right foot.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Ortiz, Red Sox discuss one-year extension
- Yanks not angry at Cano, 'feel bad for him'
- Ellsbury goes from 'thorn' to Yanks' 'flower'
- Rangers take Seahawks QB Wilson in draft
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
The Red Sox rebounded from a tough loss to clinch a spot in the ALCS.
- New Era Men's Oakland Athletics 59Fifty Alternate 2 Black Authentic Hat