And the winner of free funeral is ...
ALLENTOWN, Pa. -- Minor-league baseball teams usually try to bury the competition, not their own fans.
Tell that to the Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
The Philadelphia Phillies' top farm team will announce the winner of its free-funeral promotion at Tuesday night's game in Allentown.
The team came up with the unusual fan giveaway for one of its sponsors, a nearby funeral home.
Fans had to submit a 200-word essay describing their ideal funeral and explain why they deserved a free one. More than 50 essays were submitted.
The $10,000 funeral package comes with a casket, embalming or cremation, a hearse, a headstone, flowers and a funeral or memorial service.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- Trade talks for OF Kemp active, agent says
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- Jeter: Will miss Cano, not surprised he left
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Party Animal Philadelphia Phillies Applique Banner Flag