Braves send Evan Gattis to Triple-A
ATLANTA -- The Braves have optioned Evan Gattis to Triple-A Gwinnett, with plans for the catcher-outfielder to return to the major leagues in a few days.
Gwinnett's season ends on Monday, so Gattis will be eligible to be recalled on Tuesday after three games in Charlotte.
The Braves recalled outfielder Jose Constanza from Gwinnett to take Gattis' place on the roster.
Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said Friday night that Gattis could benefit from regular at-bats the next three days. Gattis is hitting only .139 (5-for-36) in August, dropping his overall average to .238. He has 15 homers and leads all rookies with 47 RBIs.
Gattis says his goal will be to "try to get hot."
Constanza has hit only .160 in 14 games with Atlanta this season.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Balfour's deal with O's in jeopardy
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Axford, Indians finalize 1-year, $4.5M deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
The Red Sox rebounded from a tough loss to clinch a spot in the ALCS.
- '47 Brand Men's Atlanta Braves Realtree Camo Frost Adjustable Hat