Sonny Gray expected back by spring
The procedure was performed Thursday by Dr. Thomas Graham at the Cleveland Clinic Hospital. A screw was inserted to repair a fracture, suffered by Gray on a comebacker from Detroit's Prince Fielder in Oakland's Game 5 AL Division Series loss Oct. 10.
The A's say Gray now has full stability in his thumb, and he is expected to be fully recovered in time for spring training.
Gray went 5-3 with a 2.67 ERA in 12 games (10 starts) this season. He pitched eight scoreless innings in a Game 2 no-decision in which he matched Tigers ace Justin Verlander in a sensational pitchers' duel.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves add Ervin Santana to bolster rotation
- Mets pitching coach apologizes for Asian slur
- Brewers' Garza confident despite 19.06 ERA
- Tulowitzki hit by pitch on leg, is day to day
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Oakland Athletics Practice Gold T-Shirt