Taylor Guerrieri tests positive again
NEW YORK -- Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Taylor Guerrieri has been suspended for the first 50 games of next season following a second positive test for a drug of abuse under baseball's minor league drug program.
The right-hander, who turns 21 on Dec. 1, was selected by the Rays with the 24th overall pick in the 2011 amateur draft and signed for a $1.6 million bonus. He was 6-2 with a 2.01 ERA in 14 starts this year for Bowling Green of the Class A Midwest League.
There have been 56 suspensions this year under the minor league drug program and 15 under the major league program.
The commissioner's office announced Guerrieri's suspension on Friday.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
- MLB average jumps 5.4 percent to $3.39M
- Rockies get OF Stubbs in trade with Indians
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Tampa Bay Rays Season Pass Blue Synthetic Polo