Bill Mazeroski auction nets $1.7M
PITTSBURGH -- The uniform that Bill Mazeroski wore when he hit a walk-off home run for the Pittsburgh Pirates during the final game of the 1960 World Series has a new owner after an auction of the Hall of Famer's memorabilia.
Hunt Auctions said Saturday the collection took in $1.7 million, with the uniform commanding a sales price of $633,000.
Buyers also snapped up a bat and cleats from the epic Game 7, when his solo homer in the bottom of the ninth inning brought the title to Pittsburgh.
Other items sold at the Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory auction in Louisville, Ky., include six Gold Glove awards he won during the 1950s and '60s.
Mazeroski played for the Pirates from 1956 to 1972.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Red Sox officially unveil Sandoval, Ramirez
- Source: Lester, Giants will meet next week
- Red Sox: Could exceed tax to reel in Lester
- Reds hire Towers as special assistant to GM
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
The Phillies have a valuable trade chip in lefty Cole Hamels.
- Majestic Triple Peak Men's Pittsburgh Pirates Jason Grilli Gold T-shirt