UFC middleweight Vitor Belfort admitted on Friday a random drug test taken by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Feb. 7 produced an elevated testosterone level.
Belfort, 37, submitted the test while in Las Vegas for an awards show, but the results were kept private under medical law because he's not a licensed athlete in the state.
The Brazilian middleweight, however, will seek a fighter's license at a NSAC meeting on June 17. At that point, the results of the test would have become public record. Belfort (24-10), if licensed, will fight Chael Sonnen at UFC 175 on July 5 in Las Vegas.
Belfort chose to get ahead of the situation on Friday, via his social media accounts.
"In anticipation for my hearing before the NSAC, I want to address questions concerning a drug test I took back on Feb. 7, 2014 that was requested by the NSAC," Belfort wrote on Instagram.
"The results indicated that my testosterone level was above the therapeutic range."
According to lab reports posted by Belfort, his testosterone level was 1472 milligrams per deciliter on Feb. 7, which is considered to be "above therapeutic range."
At that time, Belfort modified his TRT regiment and according to a test result dated Feb. 22, his levels dropped to a more reasonable 681 mg/Dl within two weeks.
On Feb. 27, the NSAC voted unanimously to ban TRT from combat sports in Nevada. Belfort says he stopped TRT treatment that day and has submitted voluntary tests to the commission since.
The final test, dated May 29, indicates Belfort's testosterone level was at 142 mg/Dl, below normal levels.
In October 2006, Belfort tested positive for anabolic steroids following a unanimous decision loss to Dan Henderson at Pride 32 in Las Vegas. A post-fight test revealed the presence of 4-hydroxytestosterone. The NSAC suspended him for nine months.
Belfort has claimed a legitimate medical need for TRT and was approved to undergo therapy prior to each of his three appearances in 2013. All three bouts took place in Brazil and ended in knockout victory for Belfort.
He had been scheduled to fight Chris Weidman for the middleweight title in May, but was pulled from the card shortly after the NSAC banned TRT. He agreed to replace Wanderlei Silva on the July card opposite Sonnen, after Silva refused to take a random drug test for the NSAC last month. The bout will be contested at 205 pounds.
The UFC has publicly supported Belfort's request for a license on June 17.
"Based on the criteria we've seen for other fighters (who were on TRT), he's no different," UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta told ESPN.com last month. "He should be eligible to be licensed in my opinion."